A CALL TO SERVICE
We're Looking for Board Members
Artists career success begins with safe and inclusive environments, resources, training, and housing. Anuwai Life, Inc. is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization that provides safe socially inclusive spaces, communities, resources, and professional development for emerging artists with and without disabilities who aspire to VISUALIZE, PERFORM, and SPEAK artistically and professionally. Our focus is young adults ages 18-24. Anuwai Life Inc. program participants are required to participate in professional creative growth training modules, and civic engagement through our Anuwai Life community outreach and buddies programs. Housing, lifestyle support for artists with disabilities, professional development training, free studio time in creative collaborative spaces are among the supportive services Anuwai Life, Inc. offers to facilitate artists success.
Members of the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is an essential part of the leadership team at Anuwai Life, Inc. In this role, the ideal candidate will be an experienced strategic thinker, problem-solver, and willing ambassador who can support efforts to create awareness and resources for Anuwai Life, Inc. to maintain its service to its participants. This is a unique opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Anuwai Life’s mission and wants to have a meaningful impact on emerging artists with and without disabilities.
The Board Member will support the work of Anuwai Life and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Anuwai Life. Inc.’s chief executive officer (Executive Director), the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as she develops and implements Anuwai Life, Inc.’s strategic plan
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities including approving Anuwai Life’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Assisting the Executive Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions and action items are carried out
- Serving on committees and taking on leadership roles as possible
- Representing Anuwai Life to stakeholders and acting as a proactive and enthusiastic ambassador for the organization to current and potential donors, volunteers, partners, and community stakeholders
- Ensuring Anuwai Life’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Anuwai Life serves
Anuwai Life Board Members will consider Anuwai Life, Inc. a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Anuwai Life, Inc. can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, it is crucial to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Additionally, fundraising success is dependent upon Board Member participation. Board members are expected to support events through sponsorship solicitation, ticket sales, auction items, and attendance. Anuwai Life, Inc. major fundraising events are held in April, July, September, and December.
Anuwai Life Inc.’s Board Members serve a three-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for one additional three-year term. Board meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month except for December and/or holidays. Committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings and scheduling of events.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Related personal and/or professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A passion for supporting artists with and without disabilities who have chosen the arts as their career path who are experiencing the lack of professional guidance and financial hardship
- Willingness to learn about Anuwai Life Inc.’s clients, the challenges they face, and the services Anuwai Life, Inc. provides
- Willingness to be an ambassador who can support efforts to create awareness and cultivate meaningful relationships for Anuwai Life, Inc.
Service on Anuwai Life Inc.’s Board of Directors is without remuneration and voluntary.